The Green Room
What they're saying...

"Professional, uplifting, positive, informative and well-prepared to talk to to the members of the Entertainment Fellowship. The audience was deeply touched and inspired by his passionate and motivating words. Dreesen was truly exceptional."

- Los Angeles Times

The Unlikely Success of Tom Dreesen
The Harvey-born comic rose to become Sinatra's sidekick, but he's still haunted by his Dickensian childhood

By Rick Kogan
Tribune staff reporter
Published March 12, 2006

Continued from Part 1 of The Unlikely Success of Tom Dreesen

One of their bits was called "Superspade and the Courageous Caucasian" and they started getting booked--this is before there were comedy clubs--at such nightclubs as Mister Kelly's, the Blue Max and the Playboy Clubs. Their biggest paycheck, though, was $750, split two ways. The act broke up in 1974, when Reid moved to Los Angeles.

"He always wanted to be an actor," says Dreesen about his old (and still) friend Reid, who would go on to become a successful actor, director and producer, perhaps best known for his role as the supercool midnight deejay Venus Flytrap on CBS' "WKRP in Cincinnati." (The Sun-Times sports columnist Ron Rapoport is working on a book about the team). "But I was heartsick," he adds about the breakup.

Instinctively, he sought solace in a Harvey tavern. "So it's 1:30 in the morning. I got two beers in front of me somebody bought for me, and another beer that I was drinking. So now I was sitting there thinking, what am I going to do? I felt cornered. I figured I had three options. I could quit the business and get a job in a factory like my wife wanted me to do, bring home a check every Friday. I could find another black guy and do the same act that Tim and I had. Or I could go it alone. I was scared. I started asking myself, 'If I want to go it alone, what could stop me?' "

The answer arrived minutes before last call: "Booze."

He pushed the two unfinished beers toward the bartender, who had the perfect bartender name of Jimmy LePore.

"Finished for the night?" said LePore.

"I quit," said Dreesen.

"For the night, Tommy?" asked LePore.

"No, that's my last drink," said Dreesen. "I quit, and I mean it."

Within days, and after a few heated arguments with his wife, he was on his way to L.A. It would be six years before he would touch another drop and even now he drinks sparingly.

During his first month in Los Angeles, his "home" was an abandoned car. He washed at the gas station bathroom across the street and lived on $1 a day, enough to buy "what was called Corn and Cluck at KFC. Ninety-nine cents for two little pieces of corn, two pieces of chicken. To this day when I go by KFC, I genuflect. They kept me alive."

Every day he hitchhiked to the Comedy Store, one of the first comedy clubs, and begged to get on stage. The details of his first year in L.A. would make a fine first chapter of a book titled "Before They Were Stars," as he became part of a gang of talented, struggling young comics. For a time at a club called Showbiz, "the bill every night was me, David Letterman, Jay Leno, Robin Williams, Gallagher and Michael Keaton. The girl waiting tables was Debra Winger. And there was a bonding experience. We would sometimes have to pool our money to get us all a cup of coffee."

"Tom was older than the rest of us, had more experience," says Letterman. "When I showed up in L.A., I didn't know a thing. Tom taught me, taught a lot of us, what to worry about, what to care about. He helped find work for all of us, stuff like warming up the crowds for TV game shows."

Eventually, Dreesen got a manager, Dan Wiley-"my manager to this day, more than 30 years on a handshake," says Dreesen. The family moved out to California and he "started getting a job here and there, drawing unemployment and hoping to get a shot on 'The Tonight Show.' "

It finally came and, in the parlance of the comedy business, he "killed." Or as Dreesen says, "I blew the roof off. Incredible applause. Two bows. The high sign from Johnny Carson."

In short order, there was a $10,000 check from CBS to hold him to a development deal. And then a new home in Sherman Oaks, jobs as an opening act on the road, $8,000 a week in Las Vegas.

The first time he played Vegas, one of his buddies from Harvey came to see him.

Says Dreesen: "T.J. had a life even harder than mine. Didn't know who his dad was, an only child whose mom used to bring a different guy home every week. He became a paratrooper. Tough guy, great guy. He's in the audience opening night and we walk outside and he stops at the sign at Caesars Palace that said 'Sammy Davis Jr. and Tom Dreesen.' He gets tears in his eyes."

"What's wrong? I can't believe you're crying," Dreesen said.

"Tommy, don't you get it?' said T.J. "If your name is up there, that means all of us, we're all up there. The whole neighborhood's riding up there with you."

That ride became jet-fueled one night in Lake Tahoe when, after finishing his show with Smokey Robinson, he went next door to see Sinatra. Standing backstage, he was introduced to Sinatra's lawyer, Mickey Rudin, who had been hearing good things about Dreesen.

Rudin asked, "If I'd give you a week opening for Frank, would you want more than $50,000."

"If I can open for Frank, would you want more than $50,000?" said Dreesen.

Dreesen would be Sinatra's opening act for the next 13 years. His stories from that time are studded with stars: the night Sinatra and Gene Kelly got into a heated argument about whether Dreesen was Irish or Italian; the frequent dinners with Sinatra pals Gregory Peck and Kirk Douglas; an aged Bob Hope asking Dreesen to take over his emcee duties at the Hope Desert Classic golf tournament; sharing a dais with Henry Kissinger. Dreesen was a frequent guest at Sinatra's estate in Palm Springs, where he hung around with Dean, Sammy and . . . well, everybody.

Dreesen's fondest memories of that time are personal and intimate. Sinatra liked to stay up all night, sipping Jack Daniels until dawn, and Dreesen was usually the last one keeping him company. "We would have long talks about life and family. I told him the story about my real dad and he said, 'Tommy, that kind of thing happens more than you could imagine.' We shared a lot of feelings."

And fun.

One late night in Palm Springs, they were sitting in a saloon called Chaplin's. A woman came in and asked the pair if the bar had a jukebox.

Sinatra looked at her. "No," he said, "but I'll be happy to sing for you."

The woman said, "No thanks," and walked out the door.

Dreesen said, "She just didn't recognize you, Frank."

Sinatra smiled and said, "Maybe she did, Tommy."

When Sinatra stopped touring in 1996, Dreesen continued to perform, this time as a headliner, in Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe and Atlantic City. He also has become a motivational speaker for corporations. A participant in the Celebrity Golf Tour, he was third in Golf Digest's recent ranking of the Top 100 celebrity golfers. He is also a frequent guest on Letterman's show.

Last year the late-night host invited Dreesen to join him and bandleader Paul Shaffer in entertaining the troops in Iraq on Christmas Day. "Tom was great," says Letterman. "He is always up, pep talks to everyone. I can always count on him. I think you could drop Tom anywhere in the world, in front of any audience, and he would give them a great 40-minute performance."

Not surprisingly, Dreesen is the softest of soft touches. As the late Los Angeles Times columnist Jim Murray wrote: "If you count the benefits he has performed without a fee, he has contributed more to charity than the Rockefellers."

He lives alone on--believe it or not--Benefit Street in Sherman Oaks. His wife had never cared for show business, but they tried to make the marriage work. On their 25th anniversary, the couple renewed their vows at Ascension Church in Harvey. Among the guests were Frankie Valli, Smokey Robinson, Ernie Banks and boxer Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini. The next year, they divorced. She now lives in Arizona.

"Our kids paid dues along with me," he says. "That's the tragedy if you're going to make it in showbiz. You're never home. So I lay awake at night sometimes with that guilt of being on the road. I know I made mistakes, I know I could have spent more time with them."

Not to worry. His daughters and son live within miles of their dad. They love him.

"I don't care what he says, he was and is an amazing dad, an amazing person . . . so well-balanced," says Jennifer, who has left a career in the music business to care for her 4-year-old son and 9-month-old daughter. Her husband, Don Garber, is a concert production coordinator. "He realized, because his parents weren't available, how much his children needed his love. Family for him is the most important thing. We have a standing call. We will call each other every day at 7:30 in the morning. Every day, just to check in."

Says Amy, a set designer who also helps manage her father's career, "He is always there for everybody. He's the shoulder to cry on. My son is 20 and he's in the Marines [a 22-year-old daughter is in college] and so I have a lot of emotional days. My dad's always available. Even my ex-husband is always calling him just to talk."

All of which brings us up to January, when we find Dreesen standing backstage at the Center for the Performing Arts at Governors State University. He is the star at a benefit for Judy and Samantha Panozzo, a single mother and her teenage daughter, both suffering from cancer.

In front of some 1,000 people, he gives the first public performance of his one-man show, "Shining Shoes & Sinatra." He calls it a work in progress but puts on a brilliant show, funny and poignant, ready right now for Las Vegas or maybe even Broadway, this 104 minutes alone on stage spinning the stories of his life.

"What Frank would always tell me when we were on the road is, 'Now, here's what I want you to do. I want you to go out there and stand in the middle of that arena and hold the attention of all those people. Not just hold their attention, I want you to make them laugh. Not just hold their attention and make them laugh, but I want you to do it with no props, no tricks, no charts, no special lighting. Just you and the audience. And understand this: Not one of them came to see you.' "

This night at Governors State, they all came to see Dreesen and their laughter embraced and empowered him. He says, "You have to accept reality, the tragedies in the world, and do something to ease the pain, to figure out a way to live with it. Ever since I can remember, I would gravitate to the sound of laughter."

He's gotten a million laughs, but still wonders: "Might I have been far more famous, maybe making movies? Did I sacrifice a different sort of career to stay with Frank? Every time networks came to me and said, 'Do you want to do a series? What about a talk show?' it would mean I'd have to stop touring with Frank. How could I do that?"

Letterman says: "By any gauge, Tom is a success, the consummate pro. But might he have been even more? Well, yes. He could easily be doing what I do.

"He's been talking about this one-man show for years. I've heard excerpts. I hope he does take it further. I've seen [Billy Crystal's "700 Sundays" on Broadway] show. I was knocked out. And Tom has had a life as interesting as Billy's. There is no reason he can't do the same thing.

"I can't get enough of his stories. He really straddles eras and has respect from comics of any age. But I sometimes think he was born a generation too late. He should have been a member of the Rat Pack in its heyday."

Sinatra, dead since 1998, continues to shadow Dreesen.

"Think about it," he says. "Think about my real father and Sinatra. Both named Frank. Both cocky Sicilians. Both viewed as tough guys. Frank Polizzi owned a saloon. Frank Sinatra's mother and father owned a saloon. I'll tell you one of the greatest moments of my life came when I heard Sinatra say, 'If I'm a saloon singer, then Tom is a saloon comedian. We're a couple of neighborhood guys.' "

But it was more than that.

"In Frank Sinatra, I found a man," says Dreesen. "I found a father."

He is standing on 155th Street in Harvey when he says this. He is standing on a portion of the street that in 1992, with a parade and huge celebration, became Dreesen Street. And he is drawn back again, not to himself as a 6-year-old dreaming on the curb, but to a sad day in 1992.

"I want you to tell me something, Tommy," said Frank Polizzi, in his Harvey hospital bed. "Do you have any regrets? Anything you want to get off your chest?"

"No," said Dreesen.

"Tommy, I'm on my last legs and you know it. I don't have long. I'm dying," he said. "You gotta tell me, do you have any anger or rage?"

"No," said Dreesen. "First of all, everything that I have, everything that I am, everything I'm about is because of you. I have no regrets whatsoever. But what about you? What do you regret?"

The tough old man sat up in bed, tears in his eyes.

"The only regret that I have . . . the only regret that I have," he said. "It's that every time I was in the bar and you'd come on TV. . . Tommy, I could never say, I could never say to anybody, 'Hey, that's my kid up there. Look at him. He's a star. Hey everybody, put down those drinks and take a look. That's my son.' "


Back to The Green Room